Saturday, August 6, 2011

Random Friday Night is an Understatement

Last night was the epitome of random. I knew I wanted to go to a nice dinner, have a glass of wine and unwind a bit. I chose a restaurant that I found on the 10 Best list for Chapel Hill. And boy, were they right about it being one of the best.


The cute little walkway up to La Res

Started with a glass of Pinot Noir...

 ... and had the most amazing scallops. Seriously, heaven.

And an orange mojito for dessert!

The plan for the night was to have dinner, go to my hotel and finish Harry Potter. Well, I got to the hotel and I had a semi-buzz from my two drinks and I decided to get out. If you know me at all, you know I LOVE karaoke! So, I googled "karaoke in Chapel Hill" and found a few spots, but from the options given, only one of them actually had karaoke. I got in my car and made my way there!


When I pulled up to this bar, there were like 20 biker guys out front. I seriously thought about leaving but something in me made me fearless! I walked in, ordered a beer, and within 5 minutes... I was on the list! I sang one of my favorite Karaoke songs and the crowd went WILD! It was such an amazing experience.

[this is not me singing - this is one of my competitors who hated me]

AND, to top it all off, I discovered that it was a competition and that last night was one of the nights where they pick two finalists. One finalist was picked from the crowd and the other from the bar... andddd.... I WAS ONE OF THEM!!! The bartenders picked me and they called me a wild card! They said it was totally unexpected and that I came out of the blue! I probably won't even make it to the final competition (where the prize is a trip to Vegas p.s.) but it was just so exciting to win something! I've never done anything like this and I've never won anything for singing so it was amazing. Wish I had some friends there but I was texting with my girls and my dad throughout some of it and I felt you there :) It seems silly, but last night was so inspiring. I can do anything... whether I'm alone or not. Also, life is too short to care what people think. Nobody is staring at you if you're eating alone or in a bar alone or in a movie alone. And if they are, well, f em ;)

Hopefully, I'll eventually be updating this with the results of the final competition! Stay tuned :)

1 comment:

  1. Leigh, You are a FEARLESS mama and I love it! I loved reading this story about your Friday night...the pictures, EVERYTHING was the perfect pick me up this Sunday morning for me.
    XOXO-CN

    ReplyDelete